Friday, January 16, 2015

Items still at Grandma's house -- for your consideration.

This four drawer metal file cabinet is really grey, despite its appearance in the photo. It measures 15" W x 18" D x 52" H



Grandma claimed that this day bed is a most comfortable bed for napping. It came from her Aunt Bessie (Bessie Maloon, sister to Grandma Edna Libbey). Grandma said that it was covered with an elegant tapestry fabric; she has recovered it several times, originally to preserve the tapestry, so wasn't sure if the original fabric is still on it (under all the subsequent layers) or not. 
It measure 35" w x about 90" long.




This picture of "the dogs" has been around as long as I can remember, first in the farm in Maine and then with Mama/Grandma. There is no signature and I don't know that we were ever told who painted it.   It is unframed, a stretched canvas, measuring 27" H x 39" W




Motif #1 -- a long standing lobster shack at the end of the pier in Rockport, Massachusetts. Grandma found this picture in a drug store, advertising some sort of film. After several begging attempts, spanning quite some time, the owner finally relented and gave it to her. The building has since been destroyed by a hurricane, but this poster remains behind. Grandma prized it because it was Massachusetts.   It has a narrow metal frame and measures 24" square.


Detail of Motif #1 -- positioned just below the flash spot. 



This is either a grave rubbing or a brass rubbing, done by Grandma or Grandpa Williams on one of their trips to England. There is a narrow black and gold frame; it measures 19 1/4" W x 25" H




I am not sure, but surmise that this piggy bread board was made by Great-grandpa Libbey. He has a green painted border and measures 20" W x 9 1/2" H





Grandma Williams was quite accomplished at metal working. She made the pan for this bed warmer replica. I imagine that the handle was turned by Grandpa (GDW) or Great-grandpa (EEL). The pan has a diameter of 10 1/2" and the total length is 41"
  



This is a grouping of wooden, turned candlesticks, with one lone vase in the center. Some of them were turned by Grandpa and some by Great-grandpa; some of them are not labeled, which makes me suspect they were the workmanship of Great-grandpa. 

The tallest candlestick is 10 1/2" and the vase is 4 3/4" tall.




One of two tilt-top tables with a latch to hold the top level. There is no identifying information, so assume that it was made by Great-grandpa (EEL).

The top is 24" x 18"




I believe this round, Greek key stenciled table was made for Aunt Bessie. I think that it also next went to Uncle David and then Grandma. It is marked and was made (given) by Great-grandpa 12-25-49 and stenciled either by Grandma or Great-grandma Libbey (EML). 

The top is 17 3/4" in diameter.



These two stained glass hearts were made by Grandma Williams. They are about 5 3/8" across the widest part. 




A tole-painted hen, by Grandma is 4 5/8" across the widest part.



These are three pieces of jewelry (with closeup pictures) of unknown origin or date. The smallest pin is 7/8" long; the larger pin is 2 1/4"; the necklace has a total length of 17".





Grandpa Williams made this Pipe Box to accommodate some antique pipes Grandma had. His signature and the date 2-16-91 are burned into the back. There is a small drawer at the bottom.

The box is 18 1/2" tall x 3 1/2" deep x 5 1/2" wide.




This rabbit, with moveable joints and ears, was given to Grandma and Grandpa by friends 3-21-89, "when we saw Halley's Comet". Grandma has written the names and this information on the bottom. I understand they may have used it as a pattern to make more for some of the family. 

He is 12 3/4" tall.




Grandma Williams made and painted this candlestick and snuffer of tin. The base measures 6 1/2" in diameter. The candlestick needs to be soldered back to the base.




These are the remaining brass plates that Grandma made. She started with a solid circle of brass and hammered it into a wooden mold to create the plate shape. One of the plates has an engraved pattern around the rim (also done by Grandma). The largest plate is 16" diameter; the smallest two are 7" diameter.



Grandma made these candlesticks as copies of a very old one. When the four were together, most people could not distinguish the original from the copies. They are engraved "BEW Nov 26, 1951." They stand 4 1/2" tall; the base is 4" across.






Grandma also made these three (actually four, but only three photographed) candlesticks. Two are labeled "1953" and two are labeled "Finnwheel." 

They are about 7" in length and 5 1/2" tall. 





I always thought that Grandma had made this tea kettle, as well, but I found the makers mark on the bottom (poorly photograped in the second picture). Still, it has been in our family quite a while. 

Including the handle, it is 5 1/2" tall and 6 3/4" from spout to edge. 





A double candlestick, also made by Grandma. 13 1/4" wide x 11" tall. 




Grandma made this and, I believe, she called it a Pomander Bowl, to be used for holding scented spices or balls covered with scented spices. It is 8 1/2" long x 1 3/4" deep; the bowl has a diameter of 5 3/4".





Tin heart sconce of unknown origin. I suspect it was purchased or gifted. About 7 1/2" tall.



Quilt block, done by Grandma, with a finished edge.  Dated 4-4-1990. 11 1/4" square.



Log cabin block, finished edges, 7 1/5" square. I assume that it was Grandma's but it may not be as she was quite precise in her quilting and this block is not. 



Quilt block, Log cabin variation (pineapple???), unfinished edges. I assume that it was done by Grandma.



Quilt block/small wall hanging, finished edges, 7 7/8" x 9 1/4". I am pretty sure that this was done by Grandma.



Humpty Dumpty puzzle. Either Grandma made this by herself or she and Grandpa made it together. 

Measures 9 3/4" x 13"



Quilt block puzzle. Made and painted by Grandma. 8+" square. 



Napkin ring with "BEW" engraved on the side. I assume that it was one of several made by Grandpa. 1 3/4" outside diameter.




Grandma loved wheat weaving and did a lot of it. We have found these pieces remaining. Those in the lower right corner are made of a commercial woven tape but, I believe, still shaped by Grandma. 

The tallest piece is 15 1/2" tall and the hearts in the lower right are 4" tall.



We don't know the origin of this needlepoint piece. Grandma had had it dry cleaned. The canvas measures 37" x 21"; the colored motif is 10" x 11".





Another tilt-top table with latch, probably made by Great-grandpa Libbey (EEL). The top is 16" x 22".




I have always believed these to have belonged to Great-grandma Williams (CBW), but am not sure. There are five saucers, four cups, a teapot and a plate.  The teapot is 7" tall and the plate is 7 1/2" in diameter. 



Bookshelf of unknown origin. Measures 33 1/2" W x 8 1/2" D x 29 1/4" H.






 I suspect Great-grandma Libbey would have called these sauce dishes. I remember having canned raspberries served in dishes about this size and thinking that we weren't getting very much. There are two patterns -- three of the star pattern (on the top and left) and one of the loop pattern (lower right). They all measure about 4" in diameter.



This ceramic container came from Blue Hills, Maine. Grandma always had it on the table with her Orange Marmalade. It is small, about 4" in diameter and 3 1/2" tall.




 I believe this pattern is called Della Robia. If so, it would have come from Italy, so I am guessing that Aunt Bessie brought them back from her trip "abroad." The sugar dish, discounting the handles, is 3 34/" in diameter; minus the handle and spout, the creamer is about 3" in diameter.




I don't know the origin of this ceramic bell, but it was always around home. There is a leather thong and a glass bead for the clapper. It is 3" in diameter and about 2 3/4" tall.



Another unknown. This tiny stemmed glass has a wreath and the initial "T" engraved on the front. It is 3 1/2" tall.
Grandma and Grandpa brought this tiny (2 1/2" diameter) plate back from Holland in 1985.


Same trip (1985), this 3 3/4" souvenir plate came from Denmark. It depicts the Little Mermaid in the harbor at Copenhagen. 



I don't know much about this; it is shaped much like the spoons that Beth brought back from Taiwan that were for eating soup. It has an adhesive tape label on it that says "Grace," I am guessing that refers to Aunt Grace, Great-grandpa Libbey's sister. 



Another unknown, however old and from the Libbey family, most likely. Bottom diameter is 3"; 3 1/2" tall. 



 A beautiful cut glass dish (candy?) with a handle. I don't know of its origin. 5 1/4" in diameter. 



I don't remember ever seeing this tiny tumbler before. It is beautifully engraved and one of a kind. I assume that it is old and from the Libbey family as it has one of Grandpa's reference numbers on the bottom. It is 3" in diameter and 3 1/2" tall.



A glass bottle, missing a stopper. Perhaps it was an ink bottle. 2 1/2" diameter and 3 1/2" tall.








I have always assumed that this was old, as I can't remember Grandma without it. It is black glass with white glass floral decoration. About 3 3/4" in diameter and 9 1/8" tall.



Brass frame. The picture part is 6" in diameter.


 Decorative white bird. I don't know if it is old or not or from where it came. It is about 3 1/2" tall. On the bottom is says "Made in Western Germany."



There used to be a lovely ginger jar that went under this lid. If any of you have the ginger jar, you will probably want the lid. I don't think that it is family, but am not sure. 



Grandma's OTT Light. (Those are the lights that are supposed to reproduce "natural" light.) Including the handle, it is 13" tall.



Floral ceramic leaf dish. 5" W x 6" L.



Almost round glass paperweight, about 3" in diameter. 



Old box fan, GE, of course! It is about 14" square. 

No comments:

Post a Comment